Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Kaija, Our Little Live Wire

Sunday afternoons are some of the most peaceful times around the Young house. After lunch, EVERYONE takes a nap. It's just accepted that it will be quiet. Sometimes, we get a few minutes, and on those special days, we get a couple hours.

Well, we may need to learn to enjoy those longer naps days a little less, it seems. My little Kaija, after having such a good sleep during the midday, does not appear to be ready for sleep when bedtime rolls around.

I had to work, and so after putting the children to bed, spent the evening toiling away on my laptop, while Kerri spent her evening sewing upstairs (she's so crafty). I kept hearing my Kaija talking her mama's ear off, and it was obvious she would not be ready for bed anytime soon. I could hear her yammering about her brother and sister and about the things she likes.

She really should have been in bed, but as the middle child, she so often gets a short shrift when it comes to time with her parents. So we are somewhat indulgent in the rare moments when she stays up to talk. Finally, around midnight, Kerri decides to go to bed. She sent our little princess off to the sack, or so she thought.

I suddenly hear the pitter-patter of little feet. Soon, up bobs the smiling face of my three-year old girl. She asks what I'm doing. "Working.", I say. She notices my empty glass of water and asks, "Did you drink all your water?" and then "Can I get you some more?" I am amused at her serving nature, and respond in the affirmative. I nearly rolled off my chair laughing when she calls from the kitchen "Do you want big ice cubes or little ones?" (Referring to our crushed ice option on the refridgerator). What service!

I determined that she had probably been sent to bed by her mother, saw my light on and came down, so this was her way of having a reason to stay awake, but it was oh so hilarious to see her notice a need and take care of her dear old dad. What a sweet little angel.



0 comments: